Preventing Future Urinary Tract Infections
BATHING AND HYGIENE
To prevent future urinary tract infections, you should:
- Choose sanitary pads instead of tampons, which some doctors believe make infections more likely. Change your pad each time you use the bathroom.
- Take showers instead of baths. Avoid bath oils.
- Urinate before and after sexual activity. Drinking 2 glasses of water after sexual activity may help promote urination.
- Wipe from front to back after using the bathroom.
- Avoid tight-fitting pants. Wear cotton-cloth underwear and pantyhose, and change both at least once a day.
The following improvements to your diet may prevent future urinary tract infections:
- Drink plenty of fluids, 2 to 4 quarts each day.
- Do not drink fluids that irritate the bladder, such as alcohol and caffeine.
Some women have repeated bladder infections. Your provider may suggest that you:
- Use vaginal estrogen cream if you have dryness caused by menopause.
- Take a single dose of an antibiotic after sexual contact.
- Take a cranberry supplement pill after sexual contact.
- Have a 3-day course of antibiotics at home to use if you develop an infection.
- Take a single, daily dose of an antibiotic to prevent infections.
Can Utis Be Prevented
These tips can help prevent UTIs:
- School-age girls should avoid bubble baths and strong soaps that might cause irritation. They also should wear cotton underwear instead of nylon because it’s less likely to encourage bacterial growth.
- All kids should be taught not to “hold it” when they have to go. Pee that stays in the bladder gives bacteria a good place to grow.
- Kids should drink plenty of fluids but avoid those with caffeine.
How Are Urinary Tract Infections Treated
You will need to treat a urinary tract infection. Antibiotics are medicines that kill bacteria and fight an infection. Antibiotics are typically used to treat urinary tract infections. Your healthcare provider will pick a drug that best treats the particular bacteria thats causing your infection. Some commonly used antibiotics can include:
Its very important that you follow your healthcare providers directions for taking the medicine. Dont stop taking the antibiotic because your symptoms go away and you start feeling better. If the infection is not treated completely with the full course of antibiotics, it can return.
If you have a history of frequent urinary tract infections, you may be given a prescription for antibiotics that you would take at the first onset of symptoms. Other patients may be given antibiotics to take every day, every other day, or after sexual intercourse to prevent the infection. Talk to your healthcare provider about the best treatment option for you if you have a history of frequent UTIs.
Don’t Miss: Best Over The Counter Bladder Infection Medicine
Natural Remedies For Uti Relief
A true UTI needs antibiotics to clear the bacteria responsible for the symptoms and infection, Dr. Sherry explains, so call your doctor if you’re experiencing UTI symptoms. While you wait for your appointment, though, there are some home remedies you can try to help relieve some of the discomfort.
Ways To Relieve Uti Pain At Night
A urinary tract infection can start anywhere in the urinary tract, which includes the bladder. This is a common health issue in older adults that can be unpleasant and also affects a persons sleep. According to research, 1 in 5 females has at least one UTI in their lives, although this infection can happen to anyone, men included. Read on to learn more about the ways to relieve UTI pain at night.
Drink Plenty of Water
A UTI can lead to a burning sensation and other kinds of pain while you are urinating. This can make a person need to pee more frequently than normal. Additionally, the need to urinate may be more pressing. Since that is the case, you might be tempted to drink less water. However, for your body to clear a UTI, you will need to increase your water intake. If you do not have enough water, the bladder becomes more sensitive. When your urine is more concentrated, the symptoms will be exacerbated. This advice only applies during the day. Limit your water intake in the event to prevent the urge to urinate often at night.
Empty Your Bladder Fully
When urine remains in your bladder for too long, bacteria may grow and multiply. So you need to empty your bladder fully each time you go to the toilet.
Use a Heating Pad
Using a heating pad may help to reduce pain in the abdomen or lower back that is caused by a UTI. You can choose from a wide range of heating pads that are available online.
Also Check: What Causes Weak Bladder Muscles
Try Taking A Probiotic
Introducing a probiotic to your system may help to replenish the naturally occurring, healthy bacteria that live in the gut. It is thought that probiotics may prevent harmful bacteria from attaching to the urinary tract cells, and may also lower the urine Ph, making it less hospitable to harmful bacteria. And, if you have taken an antibiotic to treat a UTI, taking a probiotic is a great way to build up the healthy bacteria that may have been killed during your course of treatment. Probiotics are found in supplement form , or they occur naturally in some types of food, including certain yogurts, kombucha, or kefir.
Add Vitamin C To Your Diet
Not only does vitamin C help strengthen your immune system, but it may also acidify your urine, which limits the growth of some bacteria and may prevent urinary tract infections from occurring. Just be careful of eating too many acidic foods when you have a UTI, as they can potentially irritate your bladder, which may only make your UTI symptoms worse.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Your Bladder Stronger
Home Remedies And Treatments For Kidney Infections
Some people prefer to treat medical conditions with home remedies or complementary remedies.
Because of how serious kidney infections are, its important that you dont rely on home remedies. Instead, take the prescription antibiotics a doctor gives you and use home remedies to help ease symptoms or pain.
You can also use home remedies to avoid UTIs and improve kidney function.
Consider Switching Birth Control
Birth control methods with spermicides, as discussed above, have been linked to increased risk for UTIs. Additionally, other birth control methods, like intrauterine devices have also demonstrated to act as a source for recurrent UTIs. Talk to your healthcare provider about birth control options or if you suspect your current contraceptive may be causing recurrent UTIs.
Also Check: Is A Bladder Scan An Ultrasound
Can Utis Be Treated Without Antibiotics
In general, its recommended that you see a doctor and be treated with antibiotics when you start feeling UTI symptoms. In some cases, your body might be able to fight it off without antibiotics, but that can be a very uncomfortable, time-consuming process. It can also become dangerous if it turns into a kidney infection.
Since the standard treatment for UTIs are antibiotics, let the doctor know if you have any allergies to medications. Dr. Chandrapal
You May Like: Botox Dose For Overactive Bladder
Drink Plenty Of Fluids
Dehydration is linked to an increased risk of UTIs.
This is because regular urination can help flush bacteria from the urinary tract to prevent infection. When youre dehydrated, you arent urinating as often, which can create a breeding ground for bacteria.
A examined nursing home residents and administered a drinking schedule to participants to increase their fluid intake. Following the schedule decreased UTIs requiring antibiotics by 56%.
In a 2020 randomized control trial , 140 premenopausal participants prone to UTIs took part in a 12-month study to test if a higher fluid intake would decrease their risk of recurrent cystitis and, in turn, their risk of developing a UTI. Researchers found that an increase in fluid intake led to a decrease in UTI frequency.
To stay hydrated and meet your fluid needs, its best to drink water throughout the day and always when youre thirsty.
Benefits of drinking more fluids for UTI
Drinking plenty of liquids can decrease your risk of UTIs by making you pee more, which helps remove bacteria from your urinary tract.
evidence suggests that increasing your intake of vitamin C could protect against UTIs.
Vitamin C is thought to work by increasing the acidity of urine, killing off the bacteria that cause infection.
An older 2007 study of UTIs in pregnant women looked at the effects of taking 100 milligrams of vitamin C every day.
Fruits and vegetables are especially high in vitamin C and are a good way to increase your intake.
Read Also: How Do You Fix A Weak Bladder
How Are Utis Diagnosed
To diagnose a UTI, health care providers ask questions about what’s going on, do an exam, and take a sample of pee for testing.
How a sample is taken depends on a child’s age. Older kids might simply need to pee into a sterile cup. For younger children in diapers, a catheter is usually preferred. This is when a thin tube is inserted into the urethra up to the bladder to get a “clean” urine sample.
The sample may be used for a urinalysis or a urine culture . Knowing what bacteria are causing the infection can help your doctor choose the best treatment.
Home Remedies For Fast Uti Relief
The urge to go to the bathroom, pain during urination, and lower abdominal pressure and pain associated with urinary tract infections can make it difficult to concentrate at work or school, enjoy favorite activities and rest comfortably at night. Fortunately, there are ways that you can get UTI relief through home remedies while your body fights the infection.
You May Like: How To Stop Bladder Infection Pain
What Causes A Urinary Tract Infection
Urinary tract infections are caused by microorganisms usually bacteria that enter the urethra and bladder, causing inflammation and infection. Though a UTI most commonly happens in the urethra and bladder, bacteria can also travel up the ureters and infect your kidneys.
More than 90% of bladder infection cases are caused by E. coli, a bacterium normally found in the intestines.
How To Cure Bladder Pain
This article was co-authored by Luba Lee, FNP-BC, MS. Luba Lee, FNP-BC is a board certified Family Nurse Practitioner and educator in Tennessee with over a decade of clinical experience. Luba has certifications in Pediatric Advanced Life Support , Emergency Medicine, Advanced Cardiac Life Support , Team Building, and Critical Care Nursing. She received her Master of Science in Nursing from the University of Tennessee in 2006.There are 20 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. This article has been viewed 5,067 times.
Its normal to feel some discomfort or pressure in your bladder sometimes. However, if this pain doesnt go away, then there might be an underlying cause for it. You might have a urinary tract infection , bladder infection, or a condition called interstitial cystitis . If you are feeling bladder pain or a frequent urge to urinate, then dont panic. There are plenty of medical and home treatments to relieve your symptoms. With the right steps, youll feel much better and be able to get on with your life.
You May Like: What Causes Continuous Bladder Infections
Home Remedies For Bladder Infection
Here are some effective and natural remedies for bladder infection that are inexpensive, harmless and easy to use at home.
1. Drink Plenty of Water : This is the best treatment for bladder infection. Water is a great cleansing agent and helps in flushing out the harmful bacteria in the form of diluted urine. So, drink lots of water for a quick relief from bladder infection.
2. Baking Soda : Baking soda is one of the best home remedies for bladder infection pain. You just need to mix a spoonful of baking soda in a glass of water, and drink it. Repeat this remedy daily till the symptoms subside completely.
3. Cranberry Juice : Cranberry juice is an effective home remedy to stop a bladder infection in pregnant women. Cranberry contains enzymes, which are really beneficial in treating a bladder infection. Therefore, drinking cranberry juice will let you to get rid of a bladder infection quickly.
Note- Avoid intake of cranberry juice if you or any family member of yours has a history of kidney stones, or if you are taking medicines for thinning the blood.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar : Soak in water, containing apple cider vinegar. It will greatly reduce the burning sensation that is caused while urinating due to a bladder infection.
5. Yoghurt : Eating yoghurt is also beneficial as it contains acidophilus, which helps in curing the bladder infection.
6. Heating Pad : In order to ease out the pain, caused due to a bladder infection, use a heating pad over the abdominal area.
What Drinks Make You Pee The Most
Beer, wine, liquor alcohol in any form makes you need to pee more. It also interferes with brain signals to the bladder about when to go.
Is there anything you can do to prevent a bladder infection?
Cranberry juice may be helpful in preventing a bladder infection, some studies show. It may keep bacteria from attaching to the bladder and creating an infection. Although the UTI benefits of drinking enough fluids arent certain, it probably wouldnt hurt to try. Pee after having sex.
What should I avoid if I have an urinary tract infection?
Water helps to dilute your urine and flush out bacteria. Avoid drinks that may irritate your bladder. Avoid coffee, alcohol, and soft drinks containing citrus juices or caffeine until your infection has cleared. They can irritate your bladder and tend to aggravate your frequent or urgent need to urinate.
What to do if your urinary tract infection comes back?
If your UTI comes back any time after treatment, youll usually be prescribed a longer course of antibiotics. If you keep getting UTIs and regularly need treatment, your GP may give you a repeat prescription for antibiotics. Mild urinary tract infections often pass within a few days. To help ease pain while your symptoms clear up:
Don’t Miss: Bladder Cancer Drugs In Development
How To Get Rid Of A Bladder Infection Fast
If youre reading this post, youre likely in the midst of a bladder infection or urinary tract infection and are in some serious need of relief now! We get it UTIs are no fun they can be really painful, leave you rushing to the bathroom nonstop, and can even lead to leaks. So its no wonder youre researching quick cures for bladder infections.
The best thing you can do for fast relief from a bladder infection is to is see your doctor, and get an antibiotic.
Antibiotics kill the bacteria that causes bladder infections and are the best way to stop a UTI in its tracks. They typically work pretty quickly, although be sure to take your medication for the full course, even if youre feeling better sooner than that. So, if youve been experiencing a UTI for more than a couple of days, make an appointment with your doctor now to get treatment.
Avoid Vitamin C If You’re Already Experiencing Uti Symptoms
Vitamin C is known to help prevent UTIs by acidifying the urine, which can kill certain bacteria present in the urinary tract. But Dr. Sherry warns if you already have a UTI or are experiencing real symptoms of one, vitamin C will not be effective in killing off bacteria. This is because unless you know the exact bacteria causing the UTI, vitamin Calthough helpfulmay not be doing enough to kill the infection youre experiencing.
A Pharmacist Can Help With Utis
You can ask a pharmacist about treatments for a UTI.
A pharmacist can:
- offer advice on things that can help you get better
- suggest the best painkiller to take
- tell you if you need to see a GP about your symptoms
Some pharmacies offer a UTI management service. They may be able to give antibiotics if they’re needed.
Homeopathic Remedies For Bladder Infections
1. Cantharis : When the person experiences an acute pain due to the bladder infection along with a sudden urge to urinate but not able to urinate, this remedy is used.
2. Pulsatilla : This remedy is helpful when there is frequent pain along with a sudden urge to urinate and the bladder infection commence after getting the feet cold and wet.
3. Nux vomica : This remedy can be taken when there is a frequent urge to urinate and the urge never get fully satisfied, even after urination.
4. Sarsaparilla : This remedy is recommended when the person feels a burning pain while urinating, due to a bladder infection.
Don’t Miss: How To Empty Bladder With Uti
Avoid Alcohol And Coffee
The kidneys most important role is to filter out harmful substances and toxins, and both alcohol and caffeine can require extra work from the kidneys. This may hinder the process of healing from an infection.
Alcohol and antibiotics also shouldnt be mixed, so avoid alcohol during your treatment for this reason as well.
How Are Urinary Tract Infections Diagnosed
Your doctor will use the following tests to diagnose a urinary tract infection:
- Urinalysis: This test will examine the urine for red blood cells, white blood cells and bacteria. The number of white and red blood cells found in your urine can actually indicate an infection.
- Urine culture: A urine culture is used to determine the type of bacteria in your urine. This is an important test because it helps determine the appropriate treatment.
If your infection does not respond to treatment or if you keep getting infections over and over again, your doctor may use the following tests to examine your urinary tract for disease or injury:
- Ultrasound: In this test, sound waves create an image of the internal organs. This test is done on top of your skin, is painless and doesnt typically need any preparation.
- Cystoscopy: This test uses a special instrument fitted with a lens and a light source to see inside the bladder from the urethra.
- CT scan: Another imaging test, a CT scan is a type of X-ray that takes cross sections of the body . This test is much more precise than typical X-rays.
You May Like: Treatment For Bladder Cancer In Males