How To Prevent Kidney Damage From Antibiotics
Drink at least 64 ounces of water every day. Every medication that you take passes through your kidneys and water helps to flush them out.
Drink a glass of cranberry juice every day while taking antibiotics. Cranberry juice helps to flush out kidneys and prevent bacteria from growing in the urinary tract which can increase your risk for kidney damage.
Cut back on salt, caffeine drinks and alcohol while taking antibiotics. All of these substances are hard on the kidneys and can reduce their ability to filter your urine.
Avoid acetaminophen and pain killers while on antibiotics. Acetaminophen is found in many over the counter products, including Tylenol, and is always hard on the kidneys. Avoiding acetaminophen and pain killers while on antibiotics will reduce the strain on your kidneys to filter out the antibiotics, thus reducing your risk of kidney damage.
Monitor your blood pressure more frequently while on antibiotics and follow your physicians orders on steps to decrease your blood pressure. High blood pressure can cause kidney damage.
Monitor your blood sugar more frequently while taking antibiotics if you have diabetes. Many antibiotics can increase your blood sugar levels, and increased blood sugar levels can cause kidney damage.
Do not smoke cigarettes while taking antibiotics. Smoking is always toxic to the kidneys, but especially when you are taking medications that your kidneys need to filter out of your blood.
Why Is This Medication Prescribed
The combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid is used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria, including infections of the ears, lungs, sinus, skin, and urinary tract. Amoxicillin is in a class of medications called penicillin-like antibiotics. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria. Clavulanic acid is in a class of medications called beta-lactamase inhibitors. It works by preventing bacteria from destroying amoxicillin.
Antibiotics will not work for colds, flu, or other viral infections. Using antibiotics when they are not needed increases your risk of getting an infection later that resists antibiotic treatment.
Can Urinary Tract Infections Be Prevented Or Avoided
There are many lifestyle choices that can help you prevent UTIs. These are some of the things you can do to protect yourself from them:
- Drink plenty of water to flush out bacteria. For some people, drinking cranberry juice may also help prevent urinary tract infections. However, if youre taking warfarin, check with your doctor before using cranberry juice to prevent urinary tract infections. Your doctor may need to adjust your warfarin dose or you may need to have more frequent blood tests.
- Dont hold your urine. Urinate when you feel like you need to. Some children dont go to the bathroom often enough. If your child does this, teach him or her to go to the bathroom several times each day.
- Wipe from front to back after bowel movements. Teach your child to wipe correctly.
- Urinate after having sex to help wash away bacteria.
- Use enough lubrication during sex. Try using a small amount of lubricant before sex if youre a little dry.
- If you get urinary tract infections often, you may want to avoid using a diaphragm as a birth control method. Ask your doctor about other birth control choices.
- Avoid taking or giving your child bubble baths.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing , and dress your child in loose-fitting clothing.
- If you are uncircumcised, wash the foreskin regularly. If you have an uncircumcised boy, teach him how to wash his foreskin.
Also Check: Shortness Of Breath And Loss Of Bladder Control
Blisters And Other Skin Problems
Blisters are small, raised lesions where fluid has collected under the skin. They may be caused by an allergic reaction, burns, frostbite, or by excessive friction or trauma to the skin. Blisters may also be a symptom of a systemic illness, or of a specific skin disorder.
This side effect is somewhat rare, but serious when it does occur. If you experience redness, blistering, or peeling or loosening of the skin after taking amoxicillin, contact your doctor right away.
Home treatments may be used to manage mild, non-itching rashes that are not severe. Treatment includes antihistamines or hydrocortisone, oatmeal baths, and drinking lots of water. If skin starts blistering, peeling, or loosening, however, seek medical attention immediately.
To prevent severe skin irritations, do not take amoxicillin if youre allergic to penicillin.
Getting The Most From Your Treatment
- If you have been prescribed the oral liquid medicine, you may find that it causes some staining of the teeth. Brushing the teeth regularly helps to prevent this. Any staining usually disappears soon after the course of antibiotics is finished.
- Even if you feel your infection has cleared up, keep taking the antibiotic until the course is finished . This is to prevent the infection from coming back.
- Antibiotics are prescribed in short courses of treatment. Your doctor will tell you how long your course of treatment will last – this is not usually for longer than 14 days. If you still feel unwell after finishing the course, go back to see your doctor.
- Some people develop redness and itching in the mouth or vagina after taking a course of antibiotics. If this happens to you, speak with your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
- If you are taking the contraceptive ‘pill’ at the same time as this antibiotic, the effectiveness of the ‘pill’ can be reduced if you have a bout of being sick or diarrhoea which lasts for more than 24 hours. If this should happen, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice about what additional contraceptive precautions to use over the following few days. There is no need to use additional precautions for any bouts of sickness or diarrhoea which last for less than 24 hours.
- Amoxicillin can stop the oral typhoid vaccine from working. If you are due to have any vaccinations, make sure the person treating you knows that you are taking this antibiotic.
You May Like: Antibiotics For Uti Or Bladder Infection
How Long Does A Uti Last If You Dont Take Antibiotics
Its hard to say how long your UTI will last if you dont take antibiotics. It can depend on how severe your infection is, and what parts of your urinary tract are infected. It may also depend on your own unique anatomy, your vaginal microbiome, and your other medical conditions. There is some evidence that 25% to 50% of people not taking antibiotics will usually get better within a week.
Most UTIs are not associated with kidney damage or other long-term problems. But even a mild UTI can cause major pain and discomfort. And UTI symptoms can also interfere with your personal life, or cause you to miss work.
In some cases, a mild UTI can spread to your kidneys if its not treated. In people with normal urinary tract anatomy this seems to happen about 2% of the time. But if your kidneys are infected, its possible that they could be damaged especially if the infection isnt properly treated. In some cases, the bacteria can spread beyond your urinary tract and infect your blood or other body tissues. This can lead to a life-threatening situation, or even death.
Treatment Of Uti In Children
Your childs UTI will require prompt antibiotic treatment to prevent kidney damage. The type of bacteria causing your childs UTI and the severity of your childs infection will determine the type of antibiotic used and the length of treatment.
The most common antibiotics used for treatment of UTIs in children are:
If your child has a UTI thats diagnosed as a simple bladder infection, its likely that treatment will consist of oral antibiotics at home. However, more severe infections may require hospitalization and IV fluids or antibiotics.
Hospitalization may be necessary in cases where your child:
- is younger than 6 months old
- has a high fever that isnt improving
- likely has a kidney infection, especially if the child is very ill or young
- has a blood infection from the bacteria, as in sepsis
- is dehydrated, vomiting, or unable to take oral medications for any other reason
Pain medication to alleviate severe discomfort during urination also may be prescribed.
If your child is receiving antibiotic treatment at home, you can help ensure a positive outcome by taking certain steps.
During your childs treatment, contact their doctor if symptoms worsen or persist for more than three days. Also call their doctor if your child has:
- a fever higher than 101F
- for infants, a new or persisting fever higher than 100.4F
You should also seek medical advice if your child develops new symptoms, including:
Recommended Reading: Whats The Difference Between Uti And Bladder Infection
Warnings For Other Groups
For pregnant women: Amoxicillin is a category B pregnancy drug. That means two things:
Talk to your doctor if youre pregnant or planning to become pregnant. Animal studies do not always predict the way humans would respond. Therefore, this drug should only be used in pregnancy if clearly needed.
For women who are breastfeeding: Amoxicillin may pass into breast milk and may cause side effects in a child who is breastfed. Talk to your doctor if you breastfeed your child. You may need to decide whether to stop breastfeeding or stop taking this medication.
For seniors: The kidneys of older adults may not work as well as they used to. This can cause your body to process drugs more slowly. As a result, more of a drug stays in your body for a longer time. This raises your risk of side effects.
This dosage information is for amoxicillin oral tablet. All possible dosages and drug forms may not be included here. Your dosage, drug form, and how often you take the drug will depend on:
- your age
- how severe your condition is
- other medical conditions you have
- how you react to the first dose
Short Information About Amoxicillin
Amoxicillin is penicillin utilized for fighting bacterial infection. Amoxicillin belongs to a group of drugs called the penicillins. They originate from a kind of fungi called Penicillium fungi.
Penicillins are antibiotic drugs. They are used to treat infections caused by germs and to remove the germs.
Amoxicillin fights germs and stops them from growing by preventing them from forming cell walls. This eliminates the germs and eventually eliminates the infection.
Amoxicillin and other antibiotics are not understood to be active versus viral infections, such as colds and influenza.
You May Like: Best Natural Remedy For Bladder Infection
How Should This Medicine Be Used
The combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid comes as a tablet, a chewable tablet, an extended-release tablet, and a suspension to take by mouth. The tablets, chewable tablets, and suspension are usually taken at the start of a meal every 8 hours or every 12 hours . The extended-release tablets are usually taken with a meal or snack every 12 hours . To help you remember to take amoxicillin and clavulanate, take it around the same times every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take amoxicillin and clavulanic acid exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the extended-release tablets whole do not chew or crush them.
Shake the liquid well before each use to mix the medication evenly.
The chewable tablets should be chewed thoroughly before they are swallowed. The other tablets should be taken with a full glass of water.
The 250 mg and 500 mg tablets of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid contain the same amount of clavulanic acid. Do not substitute two 250 mg tablets for one 500 mg tablet. The 250 mg regular tablet and the 250 mg chewable tablet contain different amounts of clavulanic acid. They also should not be substituted.
Rehydrate Yourself With Green Tea
Reducing levels of body hydration can worsen the condition of UTIs. The body needs antioxidants when dehydration aggravates bladder inflammations caused by infections.
Green tea contains catechins such as EGCG these antioxidants prevent cell damage and reduce bladder inflammations to a considerable extent.
Drink a couple of cups of green tea at regular intervals in a day. The body will replenish its levels of antioxidants, and your UTI pain will wither away within a couple of days.
This remedy can momentarily reduce bladder inflammation, which will return once you lower or halt your green tea intake. Sadly, the health benefits of green tea can only treat mild conditions of UTI.
Related Reading: 15 Surprising Health Benefits of Drinking Green Tea before Bed
Don’t Miss: How Do Poise Bladder Supports Work
Do You Need To See A Doctor To Get Antibiotics For A Uti
You need to speak with your doctor or a licensed medical professional to be prescribed antibiotics for a UTI. This can usually be done in person, at the doctor, or over the phone.
If this is your first UTI or your symptoms are severe it may be helpful to get treated in person to rule out the possibility of sexually transmitted infections.
What Others Say About Treating Uti With Amoxicillin
Jessica: I have suffered frequent UTIs and am generally recommended amoxicillin, which for me works astonishingly well. If I capture it early I discover the ache in my bladder, a percentage of blood in the urine and the urgency to pee disappears enough to be comfy within 6 hours, and I feel 100% normal again in 24-48 hours. Does the trick each time.
NightFly: Works fantastic! Pain disappears in less than 24 hours, and I feel myself once again! Very recommended medication to deal with urinary tract infections!
Sam: I have utilized continuously amoxicillin it for my regular urinary tract infections. It operates in 4 or 5 days, although I take it for a 10-day run. I take two 250mg caps two times a day. I have never had any issues. Works fantastic, if you arent adverse any of the penicillin-type drugs.
Ann: Amox 875mg 3 times a day. No more pain, urgency, and frequency incontinence no more blood in my urine. Also, THAT is precisely what I wanted. I am back to my sassy self.
If you buy something through a link on this page, we may earn a small commission.
You must be logged in to post a comment.
You May Like: Anti Spasm Medication For Bladder
Increase Your Intake Of Horseradish And Garlic
Herbs such as garlic and horseradish are high on antiseptic properties.
Horseradish is known for being one of the best natural antibiotic, widely used in treating kidney stones, gallbladder disorders, intestinal worms and fluid retention.
Garlic exhibits antibiotic properties that can produce a diuretic effect, and this has become a popular method to treat UTI at home.
Increase your consumption of horseradish and garlic by eating more salads that contain these herbs in large amounts.
- You can up the intake of horseradish by boosting its use in preparing roast beef sandwich and gefilte fish dishes.
- Try adding honey garlic to your roasted beef, pork chops, fried cabbage and chicken
- A drink of Bloody Mary contains horseradish in ample amounts and can be consumed more through its non-alcoholic variant, Virgin Mary.
These herbs horseradish and garlic can clear up the urinary tract from infections by fighting the bacterial growth. For faster results, you can eat raw garlic and horseradish till your UTI pain goes away.
Are There Any Complications From A Kidney Infection
Most people who develop a kidney infection make a full recovery if treatment is given promptly. Possible complications which occur in a small number of cases include:
- Sometimes germs from a kidney infection get into the bloodstream, particularly if treatment is delayed. This may cause blood poisoning . This can be serious or even life-threatening.
- In pregnant women who develop pyelonephritis occasionally, it may result in the baby being born early or with a lower birth weight.
- A kidney abscess can develop. This is a collection of pus that forms within the kidney.
- The infection can sometimes cause some permanent damage to kidney tissues.
These complications are uncommon but may be more likely if:
- You become severely ill with the kidney infection.
- You have kidney stones.
- Your immune system is suppressed for example, if you have cancer, if you are taking medication such as steroids or chemotherapy, or if you have AIDS.
- You have poorly controlled diabetes.
- You are an older person .
- You are pregnant.
Emphysematous pyelonephritis is also a rare complication. In this condition the kidney tissues are rapidly destroyed by the infection and the bacteria can release toxic gases which can build up in the kidneys. You become very unwell if you develop this complication. This complication seems mostly to affect people who have poorly controlled diabetes.
Don’t Miss: Can A Bladder Infection Clear On Its Own
What Other Information Should I Know
Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory. Your doctor may order certain lab tests to check your body’s response to amoxicillin and clavulanic acid.
If you are diabetic, use Clinistix or TesTape to test your urine for sugar while taking this medication.
Do not let anyone else take your medication. Your prescription is probably not refillable. If you still have symptoms of infection after you finish the amoxicillin and clavulanic acid, call your doctor.
It is important for you to keep a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription medicines you are taking, as well as any products such as vitamins, minerals, or other dietary supplements. You should bring this list with you each time you visit a doctor or if you are admitted to a hospital. It is also important information to carry with you in case of emergencies.