Weight Gain And Increased Urination
Weight gain. Weight gain is common with an increase in fluid retention. This may come on gradually or relatively quickly. One way to measure the effectiveness of treatment is to monitor your daily weight is.
Frequent urination during the night . When excess fluid is mobilized, the kidneys recognize the extra water within the bloodstream and they may produce more urine. This often occurs at night when the legs aWre elevated leading to frequent nighttime urination .
Heart Failure Early Signs And Symptoms
- Heart failure is a condition whereby the heart muscle is unable to adequately pump blood throughout the body.
- There are a variety of illnesses and diseases that affect the heart’s pumping capability.
- Heart failure causes signs and symptoms due to the excess accumulation of fluid within the tissues of the body.
- When the heart muscle becomes weak and cannot adequately pump blood into the arteries, blood “backs up,” and pressure in the blood vessels causes water to leak out of blood vessels into the tissues of the body, which may cause heart failure.
What Does The Research Say
Researchers are studying how back pain or back issues may affect or cause incontinence. So far, the research isnt clear. But, a few studies have shed some light into possible connections.
A Brazilian study published in 2015, explored the correlation between lower back pain and UI. However, this study was conducted in a population with an average age of 80. The results werent conclusive, and its possible the advanced age of study participants affected their urinary health.
In a 2015 study of women one year after giving birth, researchers found that back pain and UI are common. This study showed back pain is more common and more likely to interfere with a womans day-to-day life than UI.
Women who were obese, were an advanced maternal age, or had vaginal delivery during childbirth were more likely to experience symptoms of UI. The study found no connection between women who experienced back pain and their episodes of UI.
More research is needed to determine whether there is a substantive link between the two symptoms.
Don’t Miss: Best Natural Cure For Bladder Infection
You Might Feel A Pain/burning In Chest
COVID-19 impacts the lungs and respiratory system, and according to some long haulers, continues to long after their initial infection. The Mayo Clinic explains that sudden, sharp chest painsaka pleurisymay indicate that the lung walls are inflamed. This sensation can signal pneumonia or other types of infection.
You Might Have A Dry Cough
Dry cough is one of the defining symptoms of an initial COVID-19 infection, with many long haulers reporting that it does not quit. The American Lung Association points out that this could be a result of permanent damage to the lungs, which may in turn affect the ability of the body to function normally. However, they also point out that some long haulers experience symptoms such as a dry cough, “without apparent damage to vital organs.”
Don’t Miss: What Causes An Overactive Bladder At Night
Could My Copd And Incontinence Be Related
Since adequate exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide is necessary for every process within the body, every cell and system of the body is impacted by chronic obstructive pulmonary disease . As a result, incontinence most often urinary, but sometimes bowel may arise.
There are many factors that precipitate incontinence in people with COPD.
Indirect Consequences Of Stress And Anxiety
The way we breathe is a powerful aspect of self-expression. Anxiety, emotional constipation, and other habits of mind and dysfunctional and self-limiting behavioural patterns might be associated with strong breathing patterns, especially shallow breathing.
Shallow breath is what we do when we literally hide . It is also what we do when we feel like we want to hide! Deep breathing is one of the main practical suggestions for fighting anxiety. Its a feedback loop.
Habitually breathing shallowly can be so subtle for so long that we dont even realize theres a problem until all the contributing factors and bad habits and vicious cycles are too deeply entrenched to break free a classic boiling frog kind of problem.
All of this is a rather complicated mess to try to sort out, but Im not going to leave you hanging. Here are several relevant, practical self-help articles. They all focus on what you can do about these issues:
Recommended Reading: Types Of Pessaries For Bladder Prolapse
How A Health Professional Can Help
The first health professional that youre likely to talk to about incontinence is your primary care provider, but they may refer you to another physician or professional who can better help. Urologists and gynecologists are surgeons who see men and women for incontinence, and nurse continence advisors can run specialized interprofessional clinics.
Diagnosing the cause of incontinence
What your doctor will ask about: The treatment of incontinence depends on the cause of the symptoms, which your doctor will evaluate by asking questions, doing a physical examination, and probably order a few preliminary investigations.
Your doctor will review your personal medical history, especially any history of prostate surgery for men, and for women, the history of any pregnancies and number and types of births. Lifestyle issues like smoking, alcohol intake, caffeine consumption, exercise , and body weight are likely to come up.
A careful review of the patterns of incontinence will help to determine the cause of urine loss.
To review, three common patterns of urinary incontinence are:
- Stress: if you lose urine when doing certain activities,
- Overflow: you lose urine all the time in a dribble,
- Urge: feeling an urgent need to get to the toilet that you sometimes cant meet,
In older adults, its common for there to be a mixture of more than one pattern .
Your doctor will want to know:
The physical examination
Are There Different Types Of Dysautonomia
Dysautonomia is a medical term for a group of different conditions that share a common problem improper functioning of the autonomic nervous system. Some of the conditions caused by primary dysautonomia include:
- Neurocardiogenic syncope : NCS is the most common form of dysautonomia. It can cause fainting spells that happen once or twice in your lifetime or multiple times every day. NCS is also called situational syncope or vasovagal syncope.
- Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome : A disorder that causes problems with circulation , POTS can cause your heart to beat too fast when you stand up. It can lead to fainting, chest pain and shortness of breath.
- Familial dysautonomia : People inherit this type of dysautonomia from their genetic relatives. It can cause decreased pain sensitivity, lack of eye tears and trouble regulating body temperature. FD is more likely to affect Jewish people of Eastern European heritage.
- Multiple system atrophy : A life-threatening form of dysautonomia, multiple system atrophy develops in people over 40 years old. It can lead to heart rate issues, low blood pressure, erectile dysfunction and loss of bladder control.
- Pure autonomic failure: People with this form of dysautonomia experience a fall in blood pressure upon standing and have symptoms including dizziness, fainting, visual problems, chest pain and tiredness. Symptoms are sometimes relieved by lying down or sitting.
Read Also: What Can You Do For A Bladder Infection
What Are The Symptoms Of End
End-stage multiple myeloma is a devastating situation for the patient and the family. The patient suffers a lot due to the problems of multiple myeloma and seeing the patient in this stage would be a sad situation to the family.
It is important to recognize the end-stage multiple myeloma so, that the healthcare professionals and family members can focus on palliative treatment and improve quality of life rather than treating multiple myeloma. Its sometimes difficult to recognize the end-stage of multiple myeloma with the new treatment methods and clinical trials therefore sometimes patients will be on treatment for multiple myeloma during their final days. Some patients are diagnosed at a late stage and they can be in the end-stage of multiple myeloma during the initial diagnosis.
Following are some features to recognize multiple myeloma
- Multiple relapses with reduced length of remission
- Refractory disease
- Not tolerating further treatment
- Deteriorating in functional status
When end-stage is confirmed the patient and family should be informed and necessary measures should be taken to make the patients quality of life better and allow the patient to have a peaceful death.
Evaluation Of Urinary Incontinence
Urinary incontinence usually does not indicate a disorder that is life threatening nevertheless, incontinence may cause embarrassment or lead people to restrict their activities unnecessarily, contributing to a decline in quality of life. Also, rarely, sudden incontinence can be a symptom of a spinal cord disorder. The following information can help people decide when a doctor’s evaluation is needed and help them know what to expect during the evaluation.
Don’t Miss: Can A Bladder Infection Cause Bleeding
I: Trigger Pointsthe Effects Of Muscle Knots On Breathing
Trigger points better known as muscle knots can cause shortness of breath. They are small patches of sensitive muscle tissue, maybe caused by a micro cramp, or possibly neurological hypersensitivity. Trigger points are a big, tricky topic.
Trigger points may form in the muscles we use to breathe, making it difficult or even painful to move the ribs and expand the chest. Even the diaphragm itself might develop trigger points that make it feel weak and tired, and limit its range of contraction.8
Quick muscle knot orientation: So-called muscle knots AKA trigger points are small unexplained sore spots in muscle tissue associated with stiffness and soreness. No one doubts that they are there, but they are unexplained and controversial. They can be surprisingly intense, cause pain in confusing patterns, and they grow like weeds around other painful problems and injuries, but most healthcare professionals know little about them, so misdiagnosis is epidemic. For more information about how trigger points might be involved in your own medical history, see PainScience.coms popular e-book: The Complete Guide to Trigger Points & Myofascial Pain: An extremely detailed guide to the unfinished science of muscle pain, with reviews of every theory and treatment option.
Trigger points in the muscles of the throat, neck, chest, and back may also interfere with the nervous systems control of respiration.9
Many Continence Problems Associated With Heart Failure Can Be Better Managed
Assessment and treatment by a continence health professional may help reduce problems to a more manageable level and improve the quality of everyday life.
A continence health professional may assist by:
- identifying other contributing factors to your continence problems that could be better managed or even cured
- easing the impact of nocturia by recommending toileting equipment such as a nonspill urine bottle
- recommending toileting equipment such as a nonspill urine bottle for nocturia to reduce the risks of falls during the night
- improving constipation with lifestyle changes such as the type of fluids you drink, how to best sit on the toilet, going to the toilet as soon as you feel the urge, and laxative advice
- assessing your eligibility for Government funding to assist with the cost of continence products
- providing advice about the best product to use to manage any leakage.
Recommended Reading: What Vitamins Are Good For Bladder Health
You Could Have A Rattling Of Breath
“Chest congestion can be seen even after a patient is no longer infectious,” Dr. Wilson explains. The University of Florida Health reports that there are several types of abnormal breath sounds, each unique in sound. These include rales, small clicking, bubbling, or rattling sounds in the lungs. “They are heard when a person breathes in . They are believed to occur when air opens closed air spaces. Rales can be further described as moist, dry, fine, or coarse,” they explain. Others include wheezing, high-pitched sounds produced by narrow airways, rhonchi, snoring-like sounds that occur when air is blocked, and stridor, wheeze-like sounds that can be heard when a person breathes.
Iii: Anxietyhead Games And Shortness Of Breath
Maybe you feel so stressed that its obvious that the stress is squeezing the breath out of you or maybe its not. If youre not sure, its time to ask yourself some hard questions: could that be me? Could I be choking myself? Almost literally? Dont underestimate this possibility.
Anxiety excessive worry, either too much, or too long, or both13 is a surprisingly potent and amazingly common cause of many odd symptoms. Shortness of breath and chest pain are among the most frequently reported.
Although its common, anxiety is badly neglected as an explanation for many problems. Even though its almost the same thing as stress, many people dont recognize that they are anxious, or they deny it or minimize it. And many people just dont know that shortness of breath can be caused by anxiety! It really can.
Theres no clear explanation for how anxiety causes shortness of breath, chest pain, or any other strange symptom: its just one of those things. And while anxiety can cause shortness of breath as a direct and immediate symptom, it can also probably cause trouble indirectly by chronically eating away at us in other ways, like creating the dysfunctional breathing pattern discussed above.
You May Like: Reasons For Lack Of Bladder Control
What Can I Do To Better Live With Dysautonomia
To help manage your dysautonomia symptoms:
- Do not smoke or drink alcoholic beverages.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Wear compression stockings and support garments to increase/maintain blood pressure
- Avoid sitting or standing for long periods of time.
- Avoid heat. Take lukewarm or cool baths and showers.
- Talk with your healthcare provider before taking any over-the-counter medicine or supplement.
- Ask your healthcare provider if you can drink caffeinated beverages or eat foods with artificial sweeteners. Caffeine should be avoided if you have a raised heart rate. Artificial sweeteners can cause migraines in some people.
Other wellness tips for living with dysautonomia can be found here.
What Are Compression Socks
- Compression stockings are specially made, snug-fitting, stretchy socks that gently squeeze your leg.
- Graduated compression or pressure stockings are tighter around your ankle and get looser as they move up your leg.
- Compression sleeves are just the tube part, without the foot.
- Pressure from compression socks helps the blood vessels work better in the legs. This allows the arteries that take oxygen-rich blood to the muscles can relax, so blood flows freely. The veins get a boost pushing blood back to the heart.
- Compression stockings are worm for comfort, to help prevent serious medical conditions, and compete better in sports.
- Compression stockings can:
- Lower the chances of getting a blood clot in the leg
- Lessen pain and leg swelling
People should who wear compression socks include:
- People with or at risk for circulation problems, like blood clots in the leg , varicose veins, or diabetes
- People who have just had surgery
- People who can’t leave their bed or have a hard time moving their legs
- People who stand all day at work
You May Like: How To Train My Bladder
Chronic Heart Failure And Incontinence
Chronic heart failure is a long-term condition of the heart muscle. Symptoms include tiredness, shortness of breath, low blood pressure and swollen ankles from fluid build-up.
Some of the symptoms and treatments of this condition can contribute to bladder and bowel problems such as:
- feeling a sudden, strong desire to pass urine
- frequently passing urine
- leaking urine while rushing to the toilet
- waking one or more times during main sleep time to pass urine
- experiencing small, hard and infrequent bowel motions that often require straining or pushing to pass .
If you are experiencing bladder and bowel problems it is important to maintain any prescribed treatment and discuss your concerns with a specialist.
When To See A Doctor
In many cases, a herniated disk can be a progressive condition. A person might experience back pain for some time. If the disk begins to slip out of place significantly, incontinence can occur.
As a result, the sudden onset of unexplained urinary incontinence can indicate that a person may need to seek immediate medical attention.
The following signs may also indicate that back pain and incontinence together could be a medical emergency:
- a fever higher than 103Â°F
- loss of ability to move the legs or sense the lower body
- severe pain
- tingling or numbness down both legs
In most instances, incontinence and back pain are a medical emergency when they suddenly occur together.
If a person experiences either symptom separately, they should talk to their doctor. Many treatment options are available for both incontinence and back pain.
Don’t Miss: How To Fix Bladder Leakage Naturally
When To See Your Healthcare Provider
If you have any of the symptoms mentioned above, it’s important to see your healthcare provider. Most of the symptoms of kidney cancer have many potential causes, but there are other serious reasons you could be having these symptoms as well.
Kidney Cancer Doctor Discussion Guide
Get our printable guide for your next healthcare provider’s appointment to help you ask the right questions.
Symptoms are our body’s way of signaling that something is wrong. Rather than fearing and ignoring them, take action to find out why they’re occurring so that you can obtain appropriate and timely treatment. Talk to your healthcare provider and ask questions. If you still don’t have answers, consider getting a second opinion.